Why Last Comic Standing is a Joke

I'm not easily offended, but Last Comic Standing has been sincerely pissing me off for the past six seasons. This one, however, takes the bacon. Nothing but amateurs doing their "impression" of comedy. My question is: Who will be...The Last. Person. Watching.

I'm fortunate enough to call myself a working comedian and I've always thought LCS does an immense disservice to comedy/comics everywhere. i only tried out for the second season, but figured out quickly that the "funny white guy" quota gets filled up in a hurry. like many viewers have already guessed, they cast this thing like a Benniton ad, and has very little to do with talent.

I watch the show because it's my profession, and it's frustrating as fuck to see my friends get passed over for the hot chick with 4 mediocre minutes or the Dane Cook wannabe who's all frosting and no cake.

This show should be for guys/gals who are ALREADY headlining full time, but could use some national exposure.

I've worked with nearly all of the genuinely funny comedians you've seen on LCS. Most are strong, competent headliners that no one really knows about...Robert Mac; John Evans; Robert Hawkins; Dale Jones; Dan Naturman; Jimmy Pardo; Doug Benson; Chad Daniels; etc etc. I implore all of you to go out and see any of these headliners if they come through your town...unlike the contestants who've made it through, these folks will NOT disappoint you. and though i've never worked with them: Andi Smith; Erin Foley and Mary Mack are very left of center and very funny.

Here's the thing: when you watch American Idol (if you watch it), contestants get to show off their pipes to those three judges with no live audience, and it works to a degree...same with dancing or being a musician: if you're at least decent, it's easy to tell....comedy, on the other hand, NEEDS to be in front of a live audience. you can't tell if someone is genuinely funny in a 2-minute audition in front of two show producers.

I'd like to think people are comedy-savvy at this point in time (a mistake to think that?). this is not 1989. all these folks in the top ten are doing "impressions" of what they think comedy is. it's like when someone does an impression of Bush or Christopher Walken or DeNiro (super fresh!)...they're actually doing impressions of impressionists they've seen on SNL or somewhere.

I sooo want comedy to become cool again, and the potential is there. But as long as LCS keeps pushing these unskilled, bland, pedestrian "comics" on the public, i can't blame ANYone for choosing a movie or lawn-bowling over live stand-up. it breaks my heart, it does.

ugh. this show got everything wrong. everything.

{p.s. The current season, 2010, is a HUGE improvement.}

1 comment:

Tom said...

I was relieved to see that LCS had been canceled. But I guess for me the damage remains. Kristen Key is the headliner this week at Crackers. The first thing mentioned in her bio is that she was on LCS. I remember her from the show. It was the last time I watched LCS so I don’t know how many years ago that was but I do remember that she was always pissed off at something on the show. But the point I am rambling around is this: I disliked LCS so much that if that is her claim to fame I will pass on going to see her perform.